zaterdag 11 april 2020

German WWII Pionierbrücke

I noticed that I do have some river boards, but no suitable WWII bridges yet. Since for now I'm concentrating on early WWII Eastern Front, a German Pionierbrücke was the obvious choice. In spite of that, I did build one.

My rivers are 10cm wide, but I plan to have some twice a wide in future, so the design had to be flexible enough to reflect that.

The width was determined by that of the average German army truck, and that of horse drawn artillery.


This a considerably longer example, across the Dnjepr, in 1941.


The bridge deck.


Sturdy supports.


The underside of the bridge deck, below it the two ramps.


Basic construction done. There were still a few emergency bridges in use when I was a kid, and I remember the ramps having cross bars to give horse hooves traction - so I added those to my model.


A start on the hand rails.


The finished bridge.


The examples I've see were all unpainted, so I only "dirtied" the deck, stained the supports at water level, and called it a day.


zaterdag 22 februari 2020

Polish wind mill model

I was about to scratch build a wind mill to go with my 1/72 1939 Polish village, when I remembered I bought a vacuum formed model decades ago. A search of the attic brought it back to light.


Construction of the base.


The top added.


Here the problems started: I found it impossible to use the axle provided, and made my own.


Basic build done.


The tail again was way too flimsy to use, the wheel impossible (for me at last) to carve out, so I constructed a new wooden tail. For the wheel I used an old Airfix Napoleonic artillery wheel.


Since the for part vacuum formed base left some unsightly seams, I spackled it, and sanded it smooth.

I was afraid the whole structure might be too fiddly for a wargames table, so I decided to add a (former CD) base.



The base nearly finished, the base of the mill primed and covered in fine grained sand to give it an even structure.


Bit more priming and painting done, ran out of paint for the sail louvres.


The third store I finished finally reacted to my quest for Polish wind mill sail louvre paint with the only proper reply: "Would that be 1939 or 1944, sir?"

Finished the base with some flowers.


Stained the mill itself and the tail.


Tail added, more painting done.



The final result.


If there's anything I learned from building this, it is that vacuum formed models are not my cup of tea. Considering the extra work I had to do it, I might as well have scratch built the whole thing.

Anyhow, a nice addition to my village.

Second Polish village house

Quite unsurprisingly, my second 1/72 1939 Polish village house is quite similar in construction to my first one, all I did was change some of the dimensions.

The basic styrene construction:


Disassembled for further work, window and door frames added - match sticks.


Half of the walls clad with coffee stirrers.


Walls reassembled, chimney (ex ballpoint pen) added.


Wall thatched with towel strips, walls primed.


The final result, front and back.



vrijdag 13 september 2019

Polish village shop

For the second building for my 1939 Polish village I decided on a village shop.

I came across this pic of a building described as "Jewish". Since I was straight out of Jewish coffee stirrers I made mine non-denominational.

Though the final result is IMNSHO satisfactory, there were a few bumps in the road when scratch building this model.

The pic that started it all:


The basic model, out of styrene:


The door- and window frames put in, made out of match sticks.


The front wall clad with coffee stirrers.


When the glue had dried, I found the wall bent considerably. To fix it I added a ceiling
.

All four walls clad, and assembled.



Roof and chimneys added.

Small remark on the lines where the seams between the zinc roofing were to come: Do not use a permanent marker, like I did, but rather a pencil. The marker bled right through glue and primer. No big problem in this case, but something to remember.

Some reinforcement was added to the roof to keep it in shape.



The roofing seams added, the woodwork primed.


I wanted to use a new (for me at least) painting technique: a wash over the absorbent wood primer, and the less so neglected green paint, and spray primer used for the roof.


It worked well for the walls, nut the wash didn't work at all with the primer used for the roof, so I aged that by rubbing it with brown paint.



As I said at the beginning, a few minor hiccups during the construction, but in the end a very usable addition to my Polish village project. 

zondag 18 augustus 2019

First Polish village house

Since I only have some paper Russian buildings for my fledgling early WWII FoW in 1/72 plastics, I decided to mark a start with some Polish scenery.

I came across this 1916 pic of a Polish hovel, and figured it would b a good start.


That resulted in this first paper mock-ip, not very good, but gave me a feel of the project.


After making some structural changes, and fiddling the dimensions a bit, that led to this styrene base model.


As usual, a lot of coffee stirrers met with an untimely end.


All the cladding done.


The chimney was donated by the Jacksonville, Florida, Best Western, where they had the odd idea it was a pen.


I noticed that many Eastern European houses have a layered-looking thatch, so I did that with slightly overlapping strips of towel, hoping it would come out well in the color wash. As you can see, I also primed the woodwork.


And the final result. I'm quite pleased with it, good start for a village, I think. Easy project, took less than a week to do, bit of time every evening.